Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My fur-babies

Mike and I have four children, two human tots, and two fur-babies.





My first baby was a furbaby, cocker spaniel, named Lacey. I got her in my 3rd year of college. I am an animal lover and hated not having one to love and care for while away at college. After some trial and error of two easier pets that both died young. I decided I was ready for a puppy. At the time I lived in a 3 bedroom apartment with two of my sorority sisters. Both were excited about me getting a puppy and were a huge help in caring for her and potty training her. Really having a dog in college was easy because of my roommates help and my flexibility in my school schedule. Potty training her was so easy because I was only gone from home for a couple hours max for classes, and when ever one of my roommates came home they would take her out as while. Lacey has been the sweetest gift and perfect dog I have loved every second of being her mommy. Cocker spaniels are a great breed and are easy to train. Lacey's behaviors and matterisms fit the breed's description to a tea. This is a good thing. A cocker spaniel is the prefect dog :)


My second fur baby, is Mike's dog, Dallas. I call her my red-headed step child. Mike got Dallas while we were dating. But Dallas is 100% Mike's dog, as after all these years, and me being in her life since she was a puppy... she does not listen to me what-so-ever. Mike is her owner and master.

Dallas is a pure breed basenji. Basenjis are a very unique breed. They are an ancient breed of Africa. They are very cat like. They do not bark, but are not silent and have a very interesting yodel. They use their paws like cats to chase things and swat balls, and they can even climb trees. Basenjis are a very difficult breed to train. The puppy years are hard. Home girl did her fair share of damage and some of the things were unreal. Now due to her small size, 22lbs, she did not do the damage like in the movie "Marley and Me." But she ate a fair share of beds, pillows, sheets, underwear, trash, rugs, etc. The most baffling moment was when we tried to crate train her. I had just trained Lacey a year and a half prior so I thought I knew what I was doing. Basenjis do NOT like to be left alone. We left the apartment to go somewhere and put Dallas in her metal crate, when we came home the crate was flipped over and moved half away across the room and she was covered in pee and poop. WHAT KIND OF DOG DOES THAT?! My answer: a cat-dog.

Like I said Dallas has come along way, now that she is 6 years old and has chilled out. Dallas has always been a very loving dog and will jump in the lap of anyone to snuggle and be rubbed!




Dallas and Lacey in the car last year on the way to OBX.


Puppies at OBX>

Mike with all his babies last year on Father's Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment