Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Elmo Cake Tutorial

So we just had the 2nd birthday party on Sunday. The theme was “Elmo” basically my twins love Elmo so I wanted them to have an Elmo cake. I thought it would be easy to pick up an Elmo cake at the grocery store. My regular grocery store, Kroger, does not sell Elmo cakes they do not have a license to do so. Another local grocery store, Martins, does sell Elmo cakes, but an 8 inch Elmo cake cost $50. I personally think that is outrageous for a grocery store cake!

So I decided I would make the cake myself. I love cooking and baking… but I also stress about things being prefect so I wasn't sure I wanted to tackle the birthday cake… this was the reason I wanted to buy the cake in the first place. But I couldn't justify the $50.

So I found this Elmo cake pan online and thought it would be prefect. I searched the internet for tutorials but only found the directions via the manufacture of the pan’s website. While those directions were very helpful they weren't quite what I was looking for. So I started the cake a little early (Friday) in case I messed up and had to bake another one.  It was super easy so I did not have to.

(I will add in links as well)

Here are the easy steps to make the Elmo cake.  Get Elmo Cake Pan ... this is a link to one from Amazon, you can use a 20% off coupon and get it at your local Michael's for a littler cheaper. 

     1.  Wash pan hot soapy water make sure there is no sticky on the pan from price tag or directions.

2.       Spray pan with non-stick oil/pam

3.       Sprinkle flour on top of non-stick

4.       Turn pan over to get rid of extra flour

5.       Cake mix, I used 1 box of Pillsbury cake mix, but added 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and substitute the oil for butter to give it a more homemade taste. I also added a 1/4 cup of sprinkles to make it colorful. I used the whole box of cake mix and it was the perfect amount for the pan. Use a spatula to evenly spread the cake mix.

6.       Bake at 350 for 35 minutes (this was perfect for my oven)

7.       Turn cake over on cake rack for cooling, cake should easy fall out. Let cool. I let cool for 1 hour to be safe.



8.       I used Pillsbury vanilla icing and 1 small tube of red food coloring. It took the entire bottle to turn the icing a nice Elmo red.

99.       I iced the entire cake red and then placed purchased eyes nose and mouth on cake. The eyes, nose, and mouth where cheaper and easier than buying and doing the icing for the eyes, nose, mouth myself. And personally I think it looked better. Here is a link Elmo Face Cake Topper, I got mine from an Ebay seller for $3.00 shipped. 


110.   Place in fridge to let icing harden

111.   Yay Elmo Cake! 



 

   Rounding up this cake was about 15 bucks to make and the includes everything even the pan. So I will have to make another Elmo cake just for fun! It is super easy to do! 











No comments:

Post a Comment