Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Etiquette

Etiquette

I am not Etiquette Queen or anything like that. But I know the basics and it really bugs me that many people no longer follow some of these traditional rules. I know times are changing, but still! One of the cool things about my job is that I get to teach some of these etiquette basics.

Some basics in a random order:

·         Use the following words: Please, Thank you, Your Welcome, Excuse me, Sir, Ma’am.
      Always write thank you notes. A text message, email, or facebook message is not the same thing.
·         Hold the doors for others.
·         Do not talk on your cell phone in the check-out line.
·         For my husband do not wear a baseball hat when eating out or inside.
·         Make every effort to be on-time. If you are going to be late make a phone call.
·         Follow deadlines.
·         Do not groom yourself or your children in public (you do not need to brush your toddler’s hair and the dinner table). Go to the bathroom for grooming.
·         Baby showers are for your first child/children. I can see some rare cases where this rule could be broke…. Huge age gap between children, re-marriage, twins.  
·         Showers are not supposed to me hosted by your mother. To me you might as well host it yourself. “Hey, everyone bring me a present!”
·         Don’t smoke at the entrance of a public place. Non-smokers do not want to walk in your smoke.
·         Leave a 20% tip for food service or beauty service. If you “can’t afford” the tip don’t eat out or get the service done. There are a few times when I think this standard can be lowered but I think those are rare occasions.

Random post from an etiquette discussion today in my classroom…  

No comments:

Post a Comment