Monday, May 13, 2013

Baby Names

This post comes from an assignment this week in my class. This week the computer simulation babies go home. So before they take a baby home they have to name it. So the assignment that goes with this asks the student to pick three boy names and three girls names. They have to do some research on the name. What is the name’s meaning? What is the history behind the name? How popular is the name? Why do you want to name the baby this?
I love baby names, I always have. I have made lists of baby names since I was 10 years old. The actual process of naming a real baby was a lot harder than I ever thought possible. I had some baby naming rules from when I was a young girl that stuck with me, but some that didn’t actually matter when it came to naming an actual real human. Naming a real human being is a lot harder than I could have ever imagined.
Some of my rules and personal preferences
·         Spelling is important. This may sound funny coming from me since anyone reading this should know I am a horrible speller. But spelling is important, spelling a name incorrectly does not make a name unique. It just makes your child have to correct people on the spelling of their name their entire life.
·         Growing up as Heather, I did not what my children to have a common name.  This is the rule that didn’t matter in the end, both Mike and I loved the name Noah. I hated and still hate that it was so high on the popularity charts, but no other name seemed right. So despite hating over used common names… the name Noah, a handsome, strong, classic won in the end.
·         Can’t rhyme with anything that can easily be made fun of
·         Has to sound good with the last name. For example Mike loved the name McKenize,our last name McMunn. That does not go together!
·         I don’t mind, unisex, boy, names on girls.
·         I have a thing for y ending names.
·         I prefer uncommon names. This does not mean make up names.
"Presley" I found this name in a baby book a year before Mike and I got married. We both loved it and agree then that if we had a baby girl we would use the name. This name fits into the last three name preferences
We are already playing the name game for our future children. It is fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment