I get my baby wipes for cheap, sometimes free, depending on the store sales. A normal daily price for me is 1.5 cent a wipe. I will explain how I get these prices in a moment. The lowest Amazon mom prime membership wipes (membership cost 79.99 a year) cost 2.3 cents a wipe. It might not sound like a big price difference to some people but when you are talking about 1000s of wipes every couple of months it adds up to a huge savings.
As I have talked about before, many times, in this blog, bigger doesn’t always mean better, and it doesn’t always mean a bigger savings. This is why I am not a fan of Wholesales clubs who offer “lower” prices when you shop and buy in bulk. If you wait for sales, unit price shop, and use coupons, you can get way better deals.
To know how good of a deal you are getting you have to compare shop, meaning you have to know what the price is at different stores and you have to know the lowest everyday price of the product. The internet and smart phones have made this task super easy. Most importantly, you have you unit price the product, meaning how much does one diaper cost or one wipe cost based on the package size and price.
$20.00 or $15.00 may sound like a good deal for a mega box of diapers. But if you unit price the wipes and if they run 3 to 4 cents a wipe it is not such a great deal.
I am getting my wipes at 1.5 cent per wipe by buying the smaller packages. I also like the small packs because they are easy to throw in the diaper bag, keep in the car, and randomly keep around the house. The bulk diapers I am familiar with, are considered refills, they come in a package that has to be placed inside the plastic wipe container in order to keep them from drying out.
The small packages of 64 wipes cost $1.99 at both of my local grocery stores, Martin’s and Kroger. Kroger just stopped their double coupon program (last day for double coupons was May 12, 2013) so I will no longer be able to get the wipe deals there. Kroger offered and lot of PG savings for example when you spent $10 on PG products you would save $5 on the products. On top of that they doubled coupons. So I would use 50 cent wipes coupons that would double to a $1.00 off of a 1.99 making the wipes 99 cents, when I spent 10 dollars I would save another 5 dollars making the wipes 49 cents a package. This unit priced out to a little more than half a cent per wipe at .007 a wipe. Even better when you only buy 6 package of wipes at 1.99 = $11.94 (over 10 dollars on PG products) save $5 then use 6- 50 cent coupons that double to 1.00 = save another $6. For a total savings of $11 dollars, so you could get 6 packages of 64 wipes a total of 384 wipes for 94 cents. This breaks down to .002 cents a wipe so you get 5 wipes for 1 cent! Okay enough about that since it is not an everyday sale and since Kroger no longer double coupons.
I have just started trying out Martin’s in the last couple of weeks when Kroger announced they were discounting their double coupon program. I am hoping they do some kind of PG sale combo like the Kroger one I mentioned above. Only time will tell and if so I will post about it. For now I know that I can get them at an everyday low of 1.5 cent with the use of coupons. Their everyday price of 64 package of wipes is a 1.99, use a 50 cent coupon that doubles to a 1.00 coupon, every day, any day, with a coupon you can get a 64 package of wipes for 99 cents which breaks down to 1.5 cent a wipe…. This is a great deal! I still have a lot to learn about Martin's coupon policy, at this moment I am unsure of how many like coupons you can use in a single transition, on the to-do list is to read their policy.
You may be wondering… well how to do you get your coupons or how to you always have a coupon for wipes. It is actually pretty easy. So here are some ways I get my coupons.
1. Newspaper
2. Ask family and friends for their baby coupons from their newspapers this averages about 6 coupons each time there is a baby coupon in the paper.
3. The internet there are many printable coupons on the web and usually there is a 50 cent coupon for pampers and huggies about once a month these have a print limit but that can take your coupon total up to about 8 diaper/wipe/baby coupons a month (1 from the newspaper, about 6 from family and friends, 1 from internet)
4. Coupon trade and swaps there are many local coupon swaps in Richmond, they happen about once a month, there are also a large number of online coupon trading groups, however I feel like they can be very hit or miss so I cannot recommend one. I have had a lot of success with these but it depends on a ton of factors. Do you have something to trade that the other person is looking for? They go fast, so you have to be online at the moment it is posted. I have found they are easy to get when someone is offering them versing posting you are in search of a certain coupon which adds to the hit or miss factor. To find the coupons you want in swaps you have to be committed to the time it takes to find them.
5. Ebay – you can buy coupons on Ebay, I am not quite sure how I feel about this at this moment because it is one of those things I question…. Is it ethnical? I have read a couple of coupon blogs about this and it seems like many people are on the fence. The Krazy Coupon Lady says she does it. Ebay says it is okay. I have found that most people want too much money for them, and too much money to ship them, and that in turn takes away from the savings. However, I did just buy my 1st batch of 20 pampers coupons for $1.00. Ebay and other coupon clipping services say you are not actually paying for the coupon but the time it takes to clip, organize and ship them. See this link
Hope this post helps you to save some money on wipes!
No comments:
Post a Comment