Thursday, August 7, 2014

Potty Training

You may have heard me say on here before that I had no desire to potty train as I just saw it as one more thing to do. One more thing that I couldn't put on my plate. Even before my life got crazier by adding two more babies into the mix... my thoughts on potty training were that I would wait until they were three so it would only take a few days. I remember reading somewhere something that said start potty training at 2 (years old) you will be done at 3. Start potty training at 3 you will be done at 3.

So I thought I would wait until they were closer to 3 years old because it would be less work.

Then the thought of 4 kids in diapers started weighing on me and I would still say changing 4 kids diapers is easier than cleaning up 2 kids accidents and 2 kids diapers. Which I still believe is true.

But back in December I purchased my first little kid potty and some books on potty training. The kids started watching me potty and asking more and more questions. So we talked about going to the potty a LOT!

When I would tell people this they would say oh you are potty training and I would say, "NO!" they are too young (18 months at the time) we are just talking about it. But really I was potty training... I realize now how much of an important first step that was.

We talked about the potty all the time and the twins would request to read the potty book!

They would sit on the toilet in their clothes and pretend to go potty by grunting and making ugly faces (I have no idea where they got that from) it was both funny and disturbing. They fought over the one potty chair... so we had to get two.

We started sitting them on their potty naked right before bath a couple of months ago and asking them if they could go potty. Noah peed a handle full of times and pooped once. Presley never did anything. We never pushed the issue just made it part of their routine before bath.


In the last few weeks of changing their diapers they started telling me each time... "ewh yucky."

So I started saying, "yes going pee pee and poop poop in your diaper is yucky, maybe you should try to go in your potty like mommy does."


At the start of summer I said I wanted to maybe try to train them in August before I had to go back to work... to see how it goes... because I wanted to be a part of the process. In my mind I was thinking it was potty train in August or December during winter break or wait until next summer.


I did more research on potty training before they turned 1 years old then I have done recently. One method that I thought seemed to make sense and I thought I would try was the go diaper less method for three days.


This method freaks me out because... well poop on the floor. We do have dogs so it is not like I have never cleaned poop off the floor... but I have a weak stomach.


On Monday when I got the twins up for the day... they both had poops! This was strange because they normally poop during nap time or after dinner... hardly ever first thing in the morning.

So that was my cue. I thought we are going to potty train today. I really wasn't prepared to do so I was only going off the method I read over a year ago. So really I was winging it that morning and then during nap time I was a google queen.

I am going to create separate posts for each day because this is getting long and I am tired. I wanted to start now before I forget because I am hoping this will be helpful for someone out there and for me with Max and Eli.

I'll link in Day 1 potty training here.




No comments:

Post a Comment