We had a doctor's appointment and ultrasound on last Thursday... they saw a membrane so our twins are MO/DI identical. Which means there is less risk than if they were MO/MO twins. There is still a lot of risk associated with MO/DI twins, such as TTTS (Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome), the twins share a placenta and because of this they may get unequal amounts of nutrients (TTTS).
I will be monitored closely to watch for size differences and fluid differences. When there is a 20% difference then there is some TTTS going on which is very dangerous. The chances of TTTS go up incredibility towards the end of pregnancy. Because of this most knowledgeable doctors deliver by 36 weeks. So the twins are due March 15th, but will be here by Feb 15th at the latest.
TTTS can cause the placenta to fail and it can happen over night. This leads to a number of birth defects and even death. So it is very scary and serious.
Starting at 16 weeks I will see the MFM for extra close monitoring. I will also start the P17 shot at this time. I will take this once a week until the babies are born. This is a hormone that will hopefully prevent preterm labor. This is given to women who have had a preterm birth in the past and it has been shown to help prevent future preterm births.
HOWEVER, it has NOT shown to make a difference in twin mothers. Mine case is a prime example because the reason I had preterm birth with my first set of twin was because I got so big so fast -- I measured 41 weeks when my water broke. My doctors feel that I should try the P17 shot because while it may not help, it can't hurt.
I will also be getting the steroid for the twins' lungs as a precaution to the fact that they most likely will be premature.
I am afraid that all the hormones aren't going to have me feeling so great... and I also wonder how that will effect my thyroid hormones.
My doctor filled out papers for me to get a handicap parking pass. This is mainly for work since the teacher lot is so far from the school building and my classroom is another long walk once I entered the building. I am only 12 weeks now. But the walk is hard is now and will only get harder. I have to take breaks because I get so out of breathe. I am trying to last as long as I can working, before being put on bed rest and every little bit helps.
I am really afraid of how fast my FMLA time is going to run out. While it is a constant on my mind I try to push that to the back of my thoughts because I can only handle so much worry on my plate at time.
No comments:
Post a Comment