Friday, September 13, 2013

1st day of Preschool

Yesterday the twins started preschool. I took a personal day from work so that I could take them and pick them up. Mike and I dropped them off. When we walked into their classroom their eyes lit up with excitement. Noah said, “Hi, hi, hi, hi” to everyone and within a minute the teacher said, “we know who our social butterfly is.” Before we left Noah, had went up to classmates, girls, and had made friends, again saying “hi, hi, hi” and started to play with them. Presley went the opposite direction and was happily playing alone on the other side of the classroom. They were both so happy that Mike and I decided it was best to slide out quickly before they noticed we were leaving.
            When it came time to pick them up I brought my mom with me. Pick up time is at noon. We got to the school at like 11:42 (I thought I was early), the parking lot was slammed full. By the time we parked and got into the classroom it was 11:50 and every parent was already in the room. They were all swamped around the teacher asking questions. I do not thrive in those types of situations as I have never needed or wanted to fight for attention. So I spoke for a moment with the classroom aid, who said they did great but I think they are ready for a nap! I could tell that by the looks on their faces when we got there.
            When I got home I was upset with myself that I had not waited to talk the teacher. Because at that point I realized that I won’t be there again to talk to her. Something I didn’t think about it when I decided to flight.
            So I sent her an emailing asking how there day was and I was so happy to get this response from her.
Hi Heather!
I was so sorry I missed out on talking to you, too!  It was a little bit crazy at pick up time today - I'm sure it will settle down soon!  Yes, Noah and Presley both had great days today!  They settled in very shortly after you left and got right to playing with all of the toys.  You were right - Noah definitely preferred NOT to walk :).  Presley got tired around 11:15 and wanted to be cuddled after that (which I was more than happy to do!).  They both thoroughly enjoyed the songs we sang today, especially "Open Shut Them" and watched the teachers do the hand motions intently.  They also got around the gross motor play equipment quite well!  Presley went up the stairs on the outdoor equipment and once Noah saw her he came crawling along behind shortly!   We're going to try to encourage Noah to walk more and more while still allowing him to keep his own comfortable pace (as I assumed from your comment this morning that you are doing as well) so that he doesn't get left behind at all. Being a teacher yourself I'm sure you know that we have somewhat of an advantage in the classroom where there are 10 other kiddos who are already walking to give Noah encouragement without stressing him out :).
Thank you so much for the email and we can't wait to see the kiddos next week!

I am so proud of them and so happy they are getting this experience. I haven’t blogged much since this happened. But Noah as decided to quit walking. He can do it and has took steps and walked before. But he prefers crawling… especially in new places. I chatted with the teacher at this at drop off because I was concerned about playground time etc. Presley is running everywhere!


 Here are the few pictures I got. I got a few more that have other children in them but the school policy is these photos cannot be posted via social media. I like and respect this policy so here are the pictures I can post.




2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through Kellys Korner, so i was doing a little blog stalking!!! I have 2 1/2 year old twin girls! Twins are truly amazing!!!!!!!!

    I am so glad to read this preschool post. We are starting the girls on Oct 1st..I too, am a teacher. I thought it was crazy for me to take the whole day off. I want to be the one to take them and pick them up on their first day!! I thought people would think I was crazy, but I want to do it...Plus, I will probably not be in any emotional state to teach, after leaving them...I am sure they will be screaming!! ;/

    I would love to stay in touch!

    www.pinkcowmootique.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I cant wait to check out your blog! I bet your girls will LOVE preschool. Mine surprised me!

    ReplyDelete