Since I lasted posted… there has been a whirlwind in my head for sure. I saw the ENDO and was found to have Hashimoto hypothyroid disease. I am still in the process of trying to figure out what this means. In a nutshell it means my immune system fights off my thyroid gland like it would an infection and that has resulted in my low thyroid levels. It’s hard to understand exactly what that means and how it affects me because it affects everyone differently. Also this is something that I think says a lot about the whole situation…. The thyroid hormone is needed for every cell of the body. So that gives you an idea of how badly it can affect a person to have a low thyroid count. From weight gain, to headaches and muscle aches, to cold intolerance, constipation, depression, infertility, the list goes on and on.
My pregnancy did not cause me to have Hashimoto. But the ENDO believes that the reason it has been so bad is because of being pregnant. It is common for women to experience battles with thyroid in the postpartum period. Commonly post-partum women will have a hyper period (1-4 months PP), followed by the thyroid burning out and entering a hypo period (4-8 months PP), then regulating around the 9-12 month PP period. My doctor believes that I am following this cycle. So I should be entering the period where my thyroid will regulate out but my doctor is certain that I will still need replace thyroid hormones via medication for the rest of my life. I will just be monitored every 8 weeks until it has leveled out and then once a year, or as symptoms arise.
I started my new medication this morning! Heres to getting better.
No comments:
Post a Comment