My family went out of town this past
week for a combination of a family reunion, beach trip vacation. I feel like I
have a million post to write about since then and I am not sure where to start
so I am going to start with what is freshest in my mind… the car trip!
We drove from our home to
Jacksonville, Florida. MapQuest timed the trip at 9 hours and 40 minutes.
Now remember we were traveling with two babies/toddlers
(they are 13 months so they are still babies to me!), so we were unsure what
the best approach to the road trip should be.
We have traveled several times with the babies since they
were born, evening doing a 5 hour trip when they were just 10 weeks old. 5
hours is the longest trip we have made with them.
So of course a 10 hour car trip is a totally different ball
game.
I think the best tip I can give is not to think or care how
long it takes to get there! Know that it
will take as long as it takes to get there safely and happily! Be prepared to stop whenever you need to, but
try to make the most at each stop…. food, gas, potty, diaper change all in one.
So on the way down, we decided to leave at bed time! This
worked way better than we could have hoped for! We left at 6:45pm (twins normal
bed time 7-7:30), and planned to drive until we got tired. We planned to stay
at a hotel off 95, I preplanned and had several picked out in South Carolina and Georgia
since we wanted to get at least that far. The car ride was so smooth we arrived
in Jacksonville at 4:30am. We did stopped twice, the first was a 45 minute
stop, for bathroom breaks, food, and gas, the second when we were almost there
and it was just long enough to fill up the car with gas and for both Mike and I
to take turns and run in to use the bathroom.
So leaving at bed time was great because the twins slept the
whole way and needed nothing from us. They did wake up both times we stopped
and seemed pretty confused but both went back to sleep no problem.
As long as you feel safe driving at night I think traveling at
night with babies/toddler is a win!
Okay, but traveling, driving at night is HARD, YES! So we
did not come back at night. We got up yesterday morning and I did our normal routine
with the twins, while Mike packed the car, and then we left a nap time. This
worked prefect. The twins woke from their nap about 1 ½ hours in to the road
trip. I was able to keep them happy for another 1 ½ half by passing back snack
cups and ready to drink milk sippy cups to them.
Then about to 3 hours into the trip they started to get
really fussy. So we knew it was time to stop. We stopped at Cracker Barrel to
eat, let the twins get out of the car walk around the store, etc, and to do
diaper changes! We were there for about 1 hour. We got back in the car and
drove. The twins were happy for about 1 hour and then it was regular nap time and
they feel asleep for about 2 hours! So about 3 hours later they were awake and
I kept them happy again by passing back a snack cup and some milk. About 30
minutes after that we decided to stop for dinner. We stopped at Moe’s for again
about 1 hour to eat and potty and get gas. When we got back in the car it was
about 6:30 so shortly after that it was regular bed time and the twins went to
sleep for the night.
We got home at 9:45pm. It took us 10 hours and 45 minutes,
with two stops, and two toddlers. I think that is pretty dang good!
Our babies were super troopers.
Here are my must haves for a car trip…
1. Music duh … this helped keep the twins entertained, went
it was sleep time we put on classic music and it worked like a charm.
2. Snack cups and lots of them, they dropped them a number
of times and while going down the road I wasn’t always able to get them so I had
extra!

3. Ready to drink milk, no need to worry about a cooler.

4. Sippy cups lots of them, same reason as above
Here is a family beach picture :)

and a few others !



This thing is a must have on the beach for babies/toddlers! Everyone keeps asking me where we got it from... well we got it last year at a beach store in the OBX, we went in September while I was still on maternity leave so it was post regular beach season, the beach store had everything in the store for 50% off so we scored it for just $12.50. They do have some that look similar on Amazon, search beach canopy or click this link.


Look at that hair... what a mess!


Happy as can be!

No comments:
Post a Comment