I thought it would be easy to keep up with my blog while at the hospital on strict hospital bed rest, but actually it has been hard to start this blog because I really don’t feel like I know what to say…also typing on your side with your computer on your side is not the most ideal. I am also sure most of this will be hard to follow because everything happened so scattered. But anyways I want to start with the very beginning before all the details start to leave me.
My spring break started on Friday April the 6th. Mike and I had planned to go on a vacation get a away we were calling our “baby moon” for those of you who do not know what a baby moon is… it is like a honeymoon—the last get away before your baby arrives. We had planned to go to Daytona Florida for Thursday – Sunday.
I had two regular check-up doctors’ appointments scheduled for Tuesday one at 9:30 am with my regular doctor and one at 1pm for an ultrasound with my specialist. Even though we had already booked the hotel, I told Mike I am asking both the doctors and making sure it is okay with them before we leave, and I said if the doctors say no then we are not going!
I didn’t think the doctors were going to say no because at my check-up two weeks prior everything was so perfect and I was praised for how well I was doing.
So anyways Mike and I left the house Tuesday morning to head to the doctor’s office. I had my glucose test at 9:30 so before leaving the house I had to chug that “yummy” sugary drink. The drink made me feel like I was going to vomit so I packed a big bag with a towel, barf bag, and I also include snacks and goodies. You have to fast before the test so I packed snacks for afterwards because I knew I would be hungry.
When we got the doctor’s office I had this huge bag of stuff packed with me and realized I had forgotten my wallet at home and said “gee hope I don’t need that for anything, never have needed it before…”
So we get into the doctor’s office and both my doctor and nurse complemented me on how great I look to be pregnant with twin. Then I did all the normal stuff pee in a cup, weigh in, then had my blood test done for the glucose and my doctor then say ok “I am going to check your cervix from now on to see how you are doing.” Normally my specialist does this with the ultrasound machine. This was the old fashion finger test. As soon as my doctor started the exam I could tell by her face that something wasn’t right. She said “you are completely effaced and baby A’s head is really low!” She then asked me if I had felt any contractions. Which I replied, no. She then explained that I am mostly likely having contractions and are unaware of it. She hooked me up to a machine to monitor the babies’ heartbeats and my uterus for contractions. I was on the machine for an hour. The machine was showing that I was having real contractions even though I did not feel anything.
My doctor then sent me to Labor and Delivery since I was having real contractions. The thought of being in Labor and Delivery scares me more now than it did at the actual time. While in Labor and Delivery they continued to monitor the babies’ heartbeats and my contractions. A nurse came to get me and said “are you ready to go?” and I said “where home?” she said “no you’re not going home you’re going to get an ultrasound and get your cervix measured.” So they took me upstairs to another wing of the hospital and I had an ultrasound and my cervix was measured. Two weeks ago when I was praised for doing so well my cervix measured 3.5cm which is good… anything above 2.5cm is good, 2.5cm is normal. My cervix measured 1.95cm, a huge change in a two week window. My cervix was still closed, so I showed no dilation.
I was then sent back to Labor and Delivery where they continued to monitor the babies’ heartbeats and my contractions. While in labor and delivery I had no contractions and the babies’ heartbeats where good. I was told my doctors were coming up with a plan for the rest of my pregnancy and I would get an update shortly. (I spend a lot of time waiting for updates and they are few and far in between).
When I was told the plan it was very vague because there are so many what ifs. I was told I could possibly leave on Monday. I was told I would spend Wednesday resting and Thursday they would re-measure my cervix and do an FFN test. You can read more about this test here http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/pretermlabor_fetalfibronectin.html. Depending on Thursday’s results they would reevaluate and tell me more on Monday when they could reevaluate again. They also told me there was a good chance I could be at the hospital until I deliver. I was also told I would receive steroid shots to help my babies’ lungs mature and I would receive baby heart and contraction monitoring twice a day. I must lay on flat on my left side, but can get up to go the bathroom, I am also allowed to shower every other day.
So to sum it up…
I'm on strict hospital bed rest with bathroom privileges I can shower every other day, but must be lying on my side at all other times. They want to keep me until I deliver. I'm receiving steroid shots in my butt (ouch) every 24 hours to help the babies lungs mature in the event I deliver early. I'm no longer having contractions and the ones I were having were not strong enough to cause me to dilate. I had a stress test this morning and the babies had strong heart beats and are happy!
How are we doing?
For me I am calm because that's what the babies need from me, I am placing my trust in my doctors and my faith in god, I have a strong sense that everything will be okay. I'm where I need to be right now and that in itself is a huge blessing.
Mike had a hard time Tuesday, he is better today (wed), everything really caught him by surprise... for me I read so much about it I knew there was a possibility of all this. It was just a little crazy how two weeks ago the doctor was talking about how amazing I was doing and spoke of the possibly of inducing me at the end of June.. And here I am just two weeks later... That's what made it hard. How fast things can change!
That was hard to write... I will work on everything that happened today tomorrow. The update isnt much different..
No comments:
Post a Comment