Is that safe for the babies? A lot of people have asked me this, and this was something I feared too, which was one reason I went so long without getting any meds. But it is used on a pretty regular basis and the doctor explained it to me like this the benefits out weight the consequences and the consequences of not taking the medicine and continuing to be sick is worse for the babies.
In the beginning I had a lot of nausea but the vomiting didn’t really start until the last day of week 7. I went to the doctor for the first time at 8 weeks. She asked me about my nausea/vomiting then. I told her about the constant nausea and how I had just started to vomit in the morning. My doctor offered me an anti-nausea/vomit prescription then which I refused because of it being a “Class C” medicine. Class A and Class B drugs are considered safe during pregnancy.
I fondly remember a horror story from college… a medicine prescribed to pregnant women in the 60’s resulted in babies being born missing limbs! I am sure those doctors told the mothers the medicine was safe then and look what happened! (I know medicine has advanced a lot since this).
It was called Thalidomide. If you would like to read more about this click the link below.
When my doctor said she could prescribe me something for my morning sickness that story came to mind and I said, “ no thanks! I will live!”
At week 12 the morning sickness had gotten really bad… lasting most of the day or all day. I knew this couldn’t be good for the babies, so I called the doctor and went in for a visit. All they did was give me the prescription that I did not want to take. Because I was home from work on winter break I could get through the day by sleeping and or not getting out of bed (except to go to the bathroom). So I did not take the prescription and I could manage to get some foods down and the days of how bad the sickness was varied.
At week 14… I could not take the sickness anymore, I was back to work and puking all day in my classroom kitchen. Having to work and being sick was not working as well as lying in bed all day. I tried the prescription given to me by the doctor on Monday… and I continued to throw up… I threw up the pill before it had a chance to get into my system. By Thursday I was dead. Friday the doctor checked me in to the hospital and voilà I am better.
I am on Zofran. If you like to read more about it follow the link… here it actually says it’s a class B.
So to make a long story short…. don’t get me wrong there are still some discomforts like heartburn and constipation. But I am better, happy, and feel and look alive! I’ll take it J
No comments:
Post a Comment