Saturday, April 12, 2014

Timeout

We have been using timeout with Presley and Noah for a few months now... but recently has they approach the age of 2, it seems they are starting to spend more time in! 

We have designated timeout spots in our home, Presley and Noah, know where they are, but are stilling learning/challenging the whole stay there concept. Before putting them in timeout they first get a warning to stop the behavior, if they do not stop the behavior, they have to go to time out for 2 minutes (1 minute for each of their age) I make sure to keep track of time! When I sit them down I tell them why they are in timeout and when I get them up from timeout I explain why they were in time out and they have to apologize by saying sorry.... simple timeout 101 stuff. 

But timeout with twins is funny.

This morning Presley earned herself a trip to timeout. 

To make a long story short (steps above were followed).... Noah was riding the rocking horse... Presley decided she wanted to ride the rocking horse, but instead of waiting her turn. She decided to grab Noah by the face and try to throw him out! (Of course I had a baby in my arms and was a little slow at stopping this!)

So she got timeout. I took her to the timeout spot and eventually got her to sit down and stay. We were at grandparents house so she didn't recognize the stop as her timeout spot. I am going to start pre-thinking timeout spots when we are not in the house.

After she realized she was in timeout I told her something along the lines of waiting our turn and not to grab Noah by the face, to be nice to him, etc. 

As I left her in the spot she cried. The hardest part was keeping Noah from trying to comfort her while she cried. I had to block the hallway so he couldn't get to her. 

When the two minutes was up I went to her and said, you have to take turns, and be nice to Noah, tell Noah you are sorry for grabbing his face.... etc. (I try to explain in details and words they understand so they know why they were in timeout.)

Before she could attempt to tell Noah she was sorry. Noah ran over squatted down, hugged Presley and starting saying sorry, sorry, sorry! 

It was so sweet, her being in timeout was bothering him as much as it bothered her! 




No comments:

Post a Comment