Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Trip to L & D

Last week, I had a little trip to L & D, that resulted in a two night hospital stay. Last Tuesday night I had some pretty intense contractions about 7 every 5 minutes and then they stopped. So Wednesday morning I got up and went to work like normal (kind of we were on a 2 hour cold weather delay)… except for I was having isolated contractions throughout the day. During my 6th period class they were pretty intestine and regular. I was trying to ignore them and continue teaching… when I realized I couldn’t, I couldn’t talk, and the students were asking if I was okay.

I called my doctor and was told to come in... when I got to her office, my contractions were 4 minutes apart. .. 
So they sent me to L&D and put me on a mag drip to see if they could stop the contractions and prevent cervical changes. I was told I would be on the drip for 6 hours. 6 hours later my contractions were still coming at 6 minutes apart but I still had no cervical changes, so they put on the mag drip for longer, ended up being another 8 hours for a total of 14 hours. They were able to slow the contractions down to 2 a hour when they took me off the mag. Luckily I had no cervical changes… still long and closed.However when I was on the mag drip, my blood pressure sky rocketed (mag is supposed to make your blood pressure drop) so this was extra concerning. They also noticed that my resting pulse was high staying at a constant 122.

Because of these two things…. I stayed in the hospital an extra day and night for continued testing to see what was going on. They ran every test they could and I passed them all. Therefore showing no signs of pre-term labor or risk…

The first test an EKG to check out my heart… yes my resting pulse is high, like I am working out, which the doctor said…. Well you kind of are… living for 3 is not easy… you are fine.
FFN test was negative, no mucus change in the vagina flagging labor could be in the near future. I failed this test at 26 weeks and again at 28 weeks with P and N.
Cervix still long at over 2cm and closed.

24 hour urine sample… negative for pre e clampsia… when my blood pressure went up they were concerned I could be developing pre e clampisa. I passed two separate urine samples, but they were afraid the protein was not showing up in just those samples… so they did a 24 hour sample… which meant I peed in a bucket for 24 hours.

The result was my protein level came back at less than 5, I was told they were looking for a number around 300 for it to be a concern… so yeah, all good there.

I was told to rest whenever I could, walk only tolerated amounts, and not to lift anything weighing more than 10 pounds. I was told to go to work and see how I do, if work, brings on contractions again, then I would be put on bed rest.


So I am back at work now… and just taking it SUPER easy as I do not want work to bring on contractions because who knows if I will be lucky enough that they will not cause cervical changes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment