Sunday, May 6, 2012

I was so scared the babies were about to come.

Yesterday 5/5 was the first day I was scared.

The day started out with me being a little depressed. While on hospital bed rest… and highly drugged I somehow managed to study for and take and pass my comprehensive exam for my graduate school masters degree. I was also able to start and complete my final 10 page research paper for my last required class. It took a lot of inner strengthen to get it together and focus, but I was able to do it and am extremely proud of myself for doing so. It was NOT easy.  

Yesterday 5/5 was my graduation ceremony. I of course was unable to attend due to hospital bed rest. It was depressing because earning this degree was an achievement I worked hard for. It took my extra money to pay for it and it took away my free time and my weekends to complete the work.

I wanted to be there… I wanted to get my diploma and most importantly I wanted my family to celebrate my achievement with me.

My amazing mom did her best to make sure I knew how proud she was of me and to celebrate my achievement! She brought me Congrats Grad posters and balloons to the hospital and made me the cutest and sweetest card… and brought me dinner… homemade lump crab cakes! They were so yummy!  I love you mommy you are the best!

During all this I was having contractions… I didn’t really feel them as contractions but as back pain that was sharp but never went away… so I couldn’t tell they were contractions. I had no idea when one started and when one ended. Just as my mom and brother were leaving the hospital after my little graduation celebration the nurses hooked me up to the monitor.

I was on the monitor earlier in the morning and it was showing contractions 7 minutes a part… when they put me on the monitor after dinner it was showing contractions 5 minutes a part.

The nurse came in my room and said, “alright missy all of these contractions have earned you a trip down to labor and delivery.”

Mike left about 20 minutes prior to take a trip to the house to gather some things for my stay here.

I was all by myself, scared. Scared for the first time that these babies were about to come!

I got down to Labor and Delivery and the hospital doctor checked my cervix (this was not a good experience and I will probably make another post about this later).

Before the doctor checked my cervix he said we have to see if your cervix is dilated before we can decide what to do. If you are already dilated to certain point there is nothing we can do.  Again I was by myself and so scared.

The good news was I was not dilated. They put me on a mag iv drip for the next 14 hours and started me on a new medication Imdomethacin. It took a while but this stopped the contractions all together. I am now taking the Imdomethacin every 6 hours and can take it up until the babies are 32 weeks. After 32 weeks it is no longer safe to take Imdomethacin… so at 32 weeks they will switch me back to the Nifedipine… which I was taking but it was not working to completely stop my contractions.

Right now I am 30 weeks and 3 days. I hope the Idodmethacin will work to keep the contractions away and the babies safe until 32 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment