Updating has been so hard, because everything is always, always, always changing… when I cut to the chase you will understand what I mean and how frustrating it can be to be me right now! God is teaching me that I do not always have to be in control and that patience is important.
One of the things that have made this process so confusing is that I have 3 different doctors making decisions in my pregnancy plan and informing me on what is going one. Sometime I hear 3 different things until a decision is “formally” made.
Today I had an ultrasound with the FMS doctor. The ultrasound was to check how my cervix, uterus, and see how the babies were doing after Saturday night’s episodes of contractions 5 minutes apart, the mag iv drip, and most importantly how the Idocin/Idomethican was effecting the babies.
I spoke briefly about this in my last post, but I spent the entire day yesterday reading information about this drug and freaking out about being on it because of all the horrible side effects. It’s a hard balance to try to figure out. I understand that I am not a doctor and that I can find horrible things to read on the internet about any drug. Therefore I must trust my doctors are going to do what is best and necessary for my babies and me. At the same time, as a mom, I feel a strong need to protect my babies. It is a balancing act of being educated on the drugs being used, asking the right questions, and ultimately letting my doctor be my doctor and make the right choice for us. It’s all about weighing the pros and cons, because we want these babies to keep cooking as long as possible.
At the ultrasound today everything looked great. The babies are fine and are not showing any of the side effects of the Idocin/Indomethacin. My uterus and cervix also look great.
SO WHY AM AT THE HOSPTIAL?!?
SO WHY AM AT THE HOSPTIAL?!?
Yeah I think the same thing every time! I am grateful for my non-eventful days and good reports but it definitely causes denial to set in fast.
Basically I can tell you what the doctor told me today. I am showing signs of preterm labor, so the doctors are being cautious with me. The doctor said today, “the thing about preterm labor is most of the time we are wrong about it, you show signs of it and either you go into labor shortly after, 48-72 hours, or you don’t.”
He also said, “you are carrying twins, I could put any expected parent of multiplies on the monitor and they are going to show contractions. The thing you have going for you is your contractions have not been significant, you can not feel them, and your uterus has not dilated.”
The doctor has decided, after consulting with my other doctors, and listening to my concerns, to take me off the indonice and NOT to put me back on the nifedipine. Therefore I will not be on any medications to stop or slow contractions. He wants to see how I will do without them because contractions are to be expected at this point in a multiple pregnancy. If you follow my blog or my updates you know this is totally different from what I was told a few days prior.
So we shall see how I do! I am excited to be off the medications but a little scared at the same time.
No comments:
Post a Comment