Thursday, November 15, 2012

Post-Partum Problems

Post-Partum Problems

So I have had a lot of  post-partum problems that I have brushed off as normal and doubly normal due to the fact that I have two infants and life can sometimes be a little hectic and stressful.

But I just learned that I had a bigger health issue that was intensifying these things.

 “Hey, I just had two babies!” With the value of hindsight I should have questioned some of these things…

   Here are the symptoms I had:
·         Extreme tiredness
·         Sluggishness
·         Foggy Memory/Scattered Thoughts
·         Anxiety
·         Irritability
·         Mood Swings
·         Stress
·         Increased appetite
·         Hair Loss
·         Weight Gain-  I lost 27 pounds 6 weeks post and I am now up 3 pounds since then. I lost the 27lbs fast and then would not lose more and slowing started gaining. I gained 40ish so am still not near pre-preggo stats.


Why I didn’t think anything of the symptoms?

·         Extreme tiredness – I have two infants, they sleep well but I don’t sleep as well because I am always in “alert” mommy mode. I am breastfeeding two babies it drains me. It really does… I feel asleep pumping just the other day.
·         Sluggishness – I don’t sleep as well.
·         Foggy Memory/Scattered Thoughts – I don’t sleep as well. Always trying to do too much.
·         Anxiety – I am a new mom! Trying to do everything the best I can!
·         Irritability – I have a lot on my plate.
·         Mood Swings – I have a lot on my plate.
·         Stress – I have a lot on my plate! Stress is good because it helps you get things done!
·         Increased appetite – I am breastfeeding two babies! I was told by many doctors I need to eat more.
·         Hair Loss – my hair got really thick and pretty during pregnancy… so now I am shedding it.
·         Weight Gain – my increased appetite and not having time or energy to work out.

So what’s the real issue?

One I don’t like to admit that anything is wrong with me and all these things can pass as normal symptoms of post pregnancy and I was justifying the intensity of them by saying well I had two babies.

The real issue is I have Thyroid disease.

During my pregnancy I was found to have a hypothyroid. This was discovered at my 8 week ultrasound by a blood test. My doctor put me on a low dose of synthriod to help correct my thyroid. Hypothyroid means my body does not produce enough thyroid hormone, so I have what is called low thyroid counts. I asked the doctor if the pregnancy caused my low thyroid and she said no. I had the issue before I became pregnant. She said most people development low thyroid after pregnancy. At this time my thyroid (TSH) level was a 5 (in Nov 2011), which my doctor explained to me is just outside of the normal limits. My thyroid was tested several more times throughout my pregnancy and was found to be in normal ranges.

Last week I went to my general physician. I needed a synthriod refill, so he retested my blood to know where my thyroid levels were. At this appointment he told me he wanted my levels to be around 1. He told me, he was surprised that my levels were a 5 and that my OB had not given me a higher dose of synthriod.  

Well my blood results just came back and my thyroid is a 17, which is considered “extremely high.” The symptoms were really from my low thyroid hormone and not normal issues of post-partum.

But having a hypothyroid is a common post-partum issues and my extra low TSH count can be a result of being pregnant.

Yesterday I was very scared about all the additional health problems that a hypothyroid can cause… but am now reassuring myself that those scary symptoms (one example: infertility) are without treatment so I should be good.

My doctor is confident that with my increased medication dosage and with time my thyroid will be corrected and my symptoms will be gone and I will be feeling much, much, much better.  I will be getting everything rechecked in 8 weeks.

Very thankful I found this out sooner than later!

If you are having some questionable symptoms post-partum do not brush them off like I did! Get them checked out! As my doctor told me, it is very common for women to have thyroid issues post-pregnancy!

As always… I hope this helps someone!

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment