My FMLA is over and I returned to work yesterday. Sad news bear. If I wasn't a teacher I would have been back to work weeks sooner. I used six weeks of leave during bed rest. Then 3 weeks when the twins were born. Then it was summer break. The summer break weeks did not count against my FMLA time because as a teacher, I was not in contract. So when the school year started I used my remaining four weeks. For a total of 13 FMLA weeks. My FMLA officially ended on 9/26 so I was back to work yesterday.
The school day was actually fine. I hadn't worked in almost 6 months. I had a fresh set of new faces (about 125 in total) and it seemed like I never actually left. So much has changed in my life but the act of teaching and being at my school felt the same. It was strange.
The twins stayed with my mom and when I walked in to the house around 4:30pm (I rushed home). I found the three of them happily playing in the floor. My mom stayed for about 10 minutes before she left to go home and cook dinner for her own family.
Within minutes of my mom leaving both the twins decided to break out in a screaming fit. (Welcome home mommy!) I calmed Noah pretty easily and then moved on to Presley. I was unable to soothe Presley so I finally put her in her swing (still screaming since nothing I was doing was working). It was 5:30... I went into my bedroom climbed in bed and fell asleep.
At 6pm... Mike is home... he walks in the bedroom.... "Heather?"
It was time to get up and feed the twins. Mike stayed for about a hour max and then left for a out of town business trip. Got figure my first day of work and he goes out of town. (The trip is a great thing for his business but the timing was pretty poor!)
Working Moms: how do you do it?
By the time my day ended I did not have the energy to deal with or enjoy my sweet babies.
I need to find a balance and fast.
I am sure and hopefuls I will...but I know this will not be easy!
Got to make that money but still want to be mommy.
-Heather
I just found your blog. I'm a working mom of twins (plus a 2.5 yo). I hope you've found a bit of balance now. It's a hard tight rope to walk but you can do it. :) The best thing I've found is to try to be truly present to my kids as much as possible when I get home from work (it's hard and I don't always succeed but at least I know I'm trying).
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
PS - My twins were born the same day as yours!
Thank you so much! Everyday is finding a balance! Being away from this hard, but my time with them seems more special now!
ReplyDelete