Our twins were born 7 weeks early and thanks to my 6 weeks of mostly hospital bedrest prior to their arrival both Mike and I, and the twins, were prepared for the best case scenario if they did come early…. Which they did! I received steroid shots for their lungs and two doses of magnesium for their brains.
When they were born they had no health issues. The only thing they had to do to come home was gain weight and develop their suck and swallow reflex.
There were so many times when family members and friends questioned how we were caring for our babies. BUT our babies were NOT newborns they were preemies and this is how we were taught by doctors and NICU nurses to care for them.
I found this article on babycenter very informative and it would have been nice to send out to friends and family so they would understand why we were doing the things we were. For example why were we waking a sleeping baby in the middle of the night to feed them, why was I giving my breastfeed babies a bottle, etc!
So if you are a preemie mom or think you may have preemies, multiplies increase your risk… you should read this!
Hope this helps,
Heather
No comments:
Post a Comment